Moroccan Butternut Soup
- 1 cloves head for roasting Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil, Ripe
- 4 cups peeled + Cubed Butternut Squash
- 1 Teaspoon Curry Powder Fairtrade, Steenbergs
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika, Steenbergs
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Powder (Jeera), Steenbergs
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon Powder Fairtrade, Steenbergs
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, Steenbergs
- 1/2 Teaspoon Thyme, Steenbergs
- 4 ounces softened Organic Ash Goat Cheese, Ripe
- For topping Organic Shelled Pistachio, Organik
- Arils of Pomegranate
- 1 Chopped Red bell pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can Coconut Milk
- 2 cups Veggie Broth
- To taste Salt and Pepper
- Roughly chopped Cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Chop off the top portion of the garlic head to reveal cloves. Peel any excess paper/skin off the bulb of garlic. Pour about one teaspoon of olive oil on top of the garlic cloves and cover with foil. Roast for 45 minutes, or until the garlic is golden brown and soft. Remove from the oven and allow to cool five minutes. Squeeze garlic out of the paper skin into a small bowl, mash well with a fork and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add the coconut oil to a large soup pot set over medium heat. Once hot, add the red pepper and cook for 3-5 minutes or until soft. Add the cubed butternut squash, spicy curry powder, smoked paprika, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes then pour in the coconut milk and veggie broth. Bring the soup to boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes and until the butternut squash is fork tender.
- While the soup is cooking, make the ginger cream. Add the cold coconut milk and 1 tablespoon ginger to a small bowl. Cover and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- For cooking ginger cream the ingredients required:
1/2 cup canned coconut milk
1-2 tablespoons fresh ginger
- Once the butternut squash is tender, add the roasted garlic and the crumbled goat cheese to the soup. Remove the pot from the stove and allow to cool slightly, then puree the soup in the blender or food processor. Return the soup back to the stove and heat through.
- To serve, ladle the soup into the bowl. Drizzle the coconut ginger cream over the soup and swirl with a spoon. Garnish with chopped cilantro, chopped pistachios and crumbled goat cheese. Sprinkle with pomegranate arils.
Serve aside a hot piece of naan.