- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Oro Del Desierto
- 1/2 Medium, Peeled and diced Organic Onion, White
- 1 Clove Organic Garlic
- 1 Medium Organic Capsicum, Green
- 4 Cups, Diced Organic Tomato, Vine
- 1 tbsp Organic Chilli Powder, Crazy Jack
- 1 tbsp Organic Cumin Ground, Crazy Jack
- 1 tbsp Organic Paprika, Crazy Jack
- 1/2 tbsp, chopped Organic Herb, Parsley
- 1 pinch Cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch (optional) Sugar
- To taste Salt & Pepper
1 – Heat a deep, large skillet or sauté pan on medium. Slowly warm olive oil in the pan. Add chopped onion, sauté for a few minutes until the onion begins to soften. Add garlic and continue to sauté until mixture is fragrant.
2 – Add the capsicum , sauté for 5-7 minutes over medium until softened.
3 – Add tomatoes and tomato paste to pan, stir until blended. Add spices and sugar, stir well, and allow mixture to simmer over medium heat for 5-7 minutes until it starts to reduce. At this point, you can taste the mixture and spice it according to your preference. Add salt and pepper to taste, more sugar for a sweeter sauce, or more cayenne pepper for a spicier shakshuka
4 – Crack the eggs, one at a time, directly over the tomato mixture, making sure to space them evenly over the sauce. The eggs will cook “over easy” on top of the tomato sauce. Cover the pan and cook the eggs to taste.
6 – Garnish with the chopped parsley, if desired. Shakshuka can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. For breakfast, serve with warm crusty bread or pita that can be dipped into the sauce.